In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?
I aimed to make my product in alliance with media conventions, however in order to find my unique selling point and fill a gap in the market, I have in some cases challenged or developed these. For example, a convention of print production is the layout of the cover. One of the most important features is the large, distinctive title positioned at the top of the magazine as it enables brand identification on the shelf. As incorporated into my brand, this title often also acts as the logo for the magazine. On the front cover I have also conventionally printed headlines of articles and features included in the issue, allowing the customer to gain an overview of the magazine at first glance. As well as being printed in eye-catching colours, the size and font of these individual headlines also relates to the importance of the article. This is a principal feature of magazine production, as the articles most relevant to the demographic can be printed to stand out more.
I have also used stylistic language features to draw the reader’s attention, for example rhyming in the headline “Did you say exercise or accessorise?” is relevant to the story but also makes it fix in the reader’s mind. At the top and bottom of the cover, block colour banners are used to highlight other bands featured and the ethos of the magazine: “from mainstream to unsigned”, which enables it to incorporate a range of different genres such as indie, rock, pop and acoustic. Conventionally, similar banners are used to highlight special features, such as competitions, as well as conforming to this with the circular block featuring the title “WIN! The 50 best albums of 2008”, I have also extended this to incorporate it as a convention of my own brand to feature these particular aspects in this place every issue. This way, the audience is able to see immediately which of their favourite bands are featured in some way in the magazine. The barcode is an insignificant but necessary part of print production, therefore I have printed it in the bottom left hand corner in accordance with the convention, which is based on the idea that magazines are read from top right to bottom left.
A major convention of magazine print is for the cover photograph to relate to the biggest article in the magazine. I have complied with this convention, however I have unconventionally featured a newer artist on the cover and as the topic of the biggest article. This challenges the stereotype of the most famous artist being featured on the cover because it conforms to the idea of the magazine, which is to incorporate mainstream and unsigned bands alongside each other. Mainstream artists are featured, as presented in the block at the bottom of the page, however the focus is on new and upcoming artists. My brand would aspire to become the first source for finding new exciting artists or other music related qualities.
Typically, I have presented a basic colour scheme, of purple in relation to the title, throughout the magazine but adapted it for particular articles. This colour could be changed for each issue, or kept the same to further enhance brand identity. The contents page uses bold vibrant colours and fonts. I felt it was important to conform to this convention as it makes what is essentially a list, much more interesting. To enhance this, the page also presents a few images to draw the audience’s attention to particular articles. However I have aimed to maintain an easy-to-follow structure to enable readers to turn to a particular article of interest if they choose to. Overall, the language in the text is friendly and conversational with humorous aspects at times, aiming to relate to the core demographic.
How does your media product represent particular social groups?
The media product I have created is able to represent a range of social groups through its print mode and incorporation of both mainstream and unsigned artists. The main article about “Titania Cameron” presents a Peaches Geldof, socialite type character but represents her as very down-to-earth and easy to get along with. This challenges the stereotypical representation of socialites, who can often come across simply as party-goers with too much money and no aspiration.
The brand is also able to represent unsigned artists as important contributors to the musical world. However, although the magazine aims to present these artists on a level with worldwide famous bands, this does not take away from the achievement of these mainstream artists. Such artists are hailed above all others, and unsigned or less known musicians are left with a question mark as to what may come next.
What kind of media institution might distribute your media product and why?
A media institution such as Conde Nast publications might distribute my product as it currently does not distribute any similar product. It may wish to compete with IPC media who distribute NME, probably the biggest competitor of my own brand. On the other hand, IPC media may distribute my product as there are some clear differences and through controlling the distribution of both NME and my own products, IPC media would be able to maintain these differences in order to develop two different demographic. The two magazines could be linked in that they advertise for one another as similar to the link between Vogue and Vanity Fair.
Who would be the audience for your media product?
The core demographic of my product is females between the ages of 16 and 25. However, due to its versatility, the brand may be able to appeal to a much wider audience. I have intentionally not over-feminised the product so that it remains able to appeal to male audiences. This is important as males are conventionally the biggest consumers of music magazines. I have tried to challenge this stereotype by targeting my magazine at females, but in doing so have found it essential that I base articles around other topics such as fashion and celebrities, as well as music.
How did you attract/address your audience?
Once the audience was established, it was important to develop every aspect of the product to appeal to this audience. Through research of similar print products, I was able to establish certain conventions of these magazines. Based on their success, I tried to incorporate these although in some cases felt it was necessary to develop them further in order to create a slightly different variation on music print production and fill a gap in the market. I anticipate that my product has a unique selling point in the way it includes both mainstream and unsigned bands at an equal level, but also embraces other topics of interest such as fashion and TV, thus making it more appealing to the female market.
What have you learnt about technologies from the process of constructing this product?
Through the construction of this product I have built on my skills in Photoshop CS3 and gained a better understanding and knowledge of how certain aspects work. I feel I have improved my skills in manipulating and enhancing images in Photoshop in that I no longer make the mistake of over-editing photographs to the point where they no longer look real. I have also learnt the importance of the placement of text, particularly on the front cover. However, I feel my biggest improvement was in photograph taking. For the first time, I fully planned a thought out every detail of the photograph, as far as the equipment available would allow. This made editing on Photoshop much simpler and allowed me to concentrate my skills and not over-edit the pictures. Finally I have learnt how to use and edit an online blog, in order to present my research effectively.
Looking back at your preliminary task, what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to the full product?
The preliminary task was a good exercise for practicing and converging my skills in Photoshop and also in how to prepare effective research. I feel the layout of my final product is far more effective than the preliminary task as this enabled me to learn from my mistakes. However the themes of the magazines also play a part in this, as a school magazine for sixth form students would not look anywhere near as professional as a music magazine to be distributed nationally. Partly due to this, and partly due to my improved skills, I was able to create a more professional look to the full product and ultimately, a product that people would want to read.
No comments:
Post a Comment